12 September 2013

LoJo Cooks: Pan de Amerikana French Toast

Out of everyone in our small family, my Dad is hands down the best cook since he learned from one of the best, his mother, my grandmother. Until now, my Dad loves to cook. He'll just suddenly disappear and later resurface in the kitchen with the ingredients that he bought from the grocery or the palengke (wet market).

Since I am still learning how to cook, I thought of featuring some of the things that my Dad does. It's a bit difficult though to get him to give me the exact measurements and ingredients that he uses. When I ask him, "How much sugar did you use?" He'll just answer back with a shrug, "I don't know." Hmph, very helpful. Well, I'll still give it a shot.

I am first featuring my Dad's French Toast but since he used a humongous slab of Pan de Amerikana Wheat Loaf, I will call it the "Pan de Amerikana" French Toast ala LoJo.


Ingredients:

Slices of Pan de Amerikana Wheat Loaf
1/4 cup Evaporated Milk (we used Alpine Evaporated Milk)
1 Egg
Sprinkle of Nutmeg
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
Butter
Pancake Syrup (we like Log Cabin)
  1. Beat the milk, eggs, nutmeg and cinnamon together.
  2. Dip each bread in the egg mixture. Let the bread soak up the mixture.
  3. Melt butter in a skillet.
  4. When hot, fry the bread until golden brown on each side.
  5. Serve with butter and pancake syrup on top.

What I love about my Dad's French Toast is that the inside of the bread is soft and gooey while the outside is crunchy around the edges. Definitely a quick and delicious snack to make.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I would prefer to use fresh milk but I did not have any at the time. A good short dip per side is good enough. Do not soak the whole bread. Just one Mississippi, two Mississippi per side.

    ReplyDelete